Adding a dog door to your screen patio door is a permanent solution that will allow your pet to freely exit and enter your home.
If you are considering adding a pet door to your patio screen door, here are some pros and cons to help you in your decision!
- Doggy doors will allow your dog to freely relieve him or herself whenever they need to go out. If you don’t work from home and come home during your lunch hour to let your dog out, this is an ideal option for you.
- Fewer Accidents. Whether you need to leave for a long period of time during the day for work or to run errands, you won’t have to worry about coming home to a mess of urine or feces. That’s never fun.
- Save your screen doors. Some dogs have the tendency to run straight through screen doors to go outside. If they have a pet door to utilize, it will save you the cost of repair work or replacement in the future.
- When you know that your dog won’t be getting up to go outside, like during bedtime, you can lock the doggy door.
- Exercise & Reduces Boredom: Many dogs don’t receive the exercise that they need. Access to the outdoors where they can play and run will help with their overall health.
- Permanence: Adding a doggy door is a permanent addition to a screen door, and you would have to replace the door entirely if you change your mind. If you decide to add a pet door by cutting a hole in the wall, not only is this extremely costly, but you also can’t go back. Be absolutely sure of your decision.
- Only Works With Well-Behaved Dogs: You should only consider allowing outdoor access and freedom to well-behaved dogs. You must trust that your dog won’t try to escape the backyard or bother your neighbors.
- Security: If unlocked, critters and other small creatures may have the ability to enter your home as well.
You should carefully consider the pros and cons before deciding to add a doggy door to your patio screen door. If you would like to add one to purely save your screens from getting ripped, I would recommend adding a grill to your screen or replacing your regular mesh with pet mesh to your screen doors. I also can custom build pet doors of any size to a swinging screen door. Let me know if I can help by calling me at 760-717-3187 with any questions!